Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ten For 2010?

One of the handy things Skate Canada prepares for the media at each major competition, such as this one, is a set of brief biographical sketches of every competitor. Besides the standard birthdate, home town, coach and club details, skaters are asked to supply a thought about their short and long-term goals.
I still smile when I think about a long-term goal a 14-year-old Vancouver skater expressed back at the 2004 Skate Canada Junior Nationals in Ottawa: “Ten for 2010.”
Jeremy Ten, who's 17 now and keeps rapidly moving up the ranks, took another impressive step toward his biggest goal with a supreme performance in the junior men's free skate today. Ten landed six triple jumps and posted a personal best score of 112.68 to blow away the field in what had been a close competition after the short program.
Ten, second after the short, finished with a 165.96 overall total— nearly 20 points better than silver medallist Elladj Balde of Pierrefonds, Que. Short program winner Jean-Simon Legare of Beauport, Que., took the bronze, while Nathan Last of the Nepean Skating Club wound up 14th.
“I'm so proud of what I did out there today,” said Ten of his fourth straight national medal (gold as pre-novice in 2004, silver in novice in 2005, silver in junior behind Labrador City's Joey Russell a year ago).
That catchy phrase he offered up three years ago?
Oh, it's still very much alive, too.
“We say that to him,” said Jill Marie Harvey, who coaches Ten with Joanne McLeod and Bruno Marcotte at the B.C. Centre of Excellence in Burnaby.
“It makes it seem more achievable.”
Ten's skating keeps doing a lot to make it seem possible, too.

2 comments:

GFree Bentos said...

I just found this blog, and I want to let you know that it is probably the most interesting skating coverage I have ever read! You write as if you are the skater's best friend and give the behind the scenes coverage that every fan craves. Keep up the good work!
~L

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us the inside scoop. I'm in withdrawl not being there....wish I could but I'm glad to have someone let me feel a little closer to the action!