Monday, January 15, 2007

The Gang's All Here

Here's what I love about Canadians.
(well, one of many things)
I go over the Delta Halifax to pick up my accreditation, and who do I see but Gatineau's own Valerie Marcoux and her dashing partner Craig Buntin, the three-time defending pairs champions. We exchange pleasantries like we've known each other for years. Well, because we have (10 and counting in Val's case).
I'm not down the hall a few steps and I run into some coaches (David Graham of Nepean) and skaters (Nepean's Brooke Paulin and Minto's Annie Claire Bergeron Oliver) I know from Ottawa, all with that smile of satisfaction you get when you've earned your way to the big show. Michelle Leigh from Barrie's haven of skating talent, the Mariposa School of Skating, wanders over to say hello. So does that charming two-time Canadian women's champion, Joannie Rochette, who's just arrived from Montreal a few days after turning 21.
See, it's not so big that it doesn't have that feel of a family reunion. Lots of folks you only see once or twice a year, but always let you know they're happy you're here, too.
That goes for the small group of us in the media who cover these events regularly (this is Canadians No. 15 for me). Haven't crossed paths with any of my fellow scribes yet, but the action gets rolling at the rink tomorrow.
The stories will soon begin to be written. Or get told.
Of that, I have no doubt.


3 comments:

singerskates said...

What, no Jeff? I guess that will happen later on. Please pass on this message to Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Cynthia Phanuef, Scott Moir & Tessa Virtue and Christopher Mabee.
"Skate with your heart and just have fun! from singerskates."

Jeff knows who singerskates is. But if he forgets, ask Debbie Wilkes. She's seen me skate at my nationals.

singerskates said...

You know what I wish. I wish that 2007 Skate Canada Adult Championships and the 2007 ISU World Figure Skating Championships were not happening the same week. How on earth can I concentrate on competing at Adult Canadians with Worlds happening? How do I watch Worlds and compete at the same time? I've tried taping on time delay to my DVD record but it always messes up or doesn't work at all. The only think I can do is hope that my university aged daughter doesn't touch the hard drive recorder while my hubby and I are in Calgary. I don't want to miss Jeff, Joannie or any of the other elite Canadians competing at Worlds. I'm just thankful there is the 2007 Skate Canada Regular (we've got so many nationals now)Championships on TSN and CTV being put on by Skate Canada. Please post all the real skating details you can. Thanks.

ROB BRODIE said...

Jeff was due to arrive tonight (Tuesday) ... at least that's what he indicated last week.